Democratic Guide to Public Charter Schools, 2nd Edition
June 3, 2019
During National Charter Schools Week, we rolled out key sections of the 2nd edition of the Democratic Guide to Public Charter Schools. Today, we are releasing the entire compendium which includes the previously released sections and much, much more. As the Democratic Guide shows, both the history and the current state of America’s public charter school sector reflect our shared values of equalizing educational opportunities and empowering local communities.
THIS REPORT INCLUDES THE MOST UP-TO-DATE DATA ON:
- President Obama’s legacy of making it possible for hundreds of thousands of students to attend high-quality public schools of choice;
- Polling that shows strong support for public charter schools among key Democratic constituencies, particularly voters of color and millennials;
- The extremely high concentrations of public charter schools and public charter school students in areas represented by Democrats, at all levels of government; and
- Charter school performance across the U.S., especially as it pertains to improved academic achievement for students of color and those from lower-income families.
THE REPORT IS PRESENTED IN FIVE SECTIONS:
- PART 1 Reviews the origins of the public charter school model in the ideas and principles put forward by key civil rights and labor leaders.
- PART 2 Recounts Recounts how Democratic and progressive leaders have been, and remain, among the strongest proponents of high-quality public charter schools.
- PART 3 Summarizes polling data showing solid support for public charter schools among key Democratic constituencies particularly Black and Hispanic Democratic primary voters and millennials of all races and ethnicities.
- PART 4 Maps political party affiliations of elected leaders at the federal, state, and local levels in areas with high numbers and percentages of public charter school students.
- PART 5 Reviews outcome data showing that public charter schools are serving the Democratic goals of equalizing educational opportunities.
July 12, 2018
July 9, 2018